Tuesday, August 3, 2010

HARTLEPOOL !!!

It’s Tuesday – and the first day I’ve been able to access internet since being in LA. I had a good flight from there to London, but definitely suffered from lack of sleep – I got only about 2 hours’ worth the whole trip. I’d thought I would sleep easily on the last leg but got none whatsoever. Most of this flight was through stormy weather so if wasn’t the turbulence keeping me awake, it was seatbelt on/off warning signals. When we arrived in London our flight path took us right over the central area with Buckingham Palace, Big Ben etc. The view was fantastic – as clear as a bell, but I wasn’t allowed to take any photos because the plane was ‘landing’. Just my luck eh!

Plans of heading into London rather than hanging around Heathrow disappeared due to tiredness. I spent most of my free time making sure I stayed awake instead. Mind you, by the time I’d gone through customs, collected my bag and taken the express train from Terminal One to Terminal Five to catch my next flight I had only a couple of hours to fill in. I realised how tired I was when I saw the sign ’Harrods’ and couldn’t even be bothered to check it out. I found a coffee, a comfortable chair and filled in the time on my laptop. No internet though – my PC security system didn’t like the wireless network there and kept shutting my laptop down.

I was able to take a couple of photos of the crowds though.




This is just one area of one terminal (of five). I’ll leave it to you to consider how big the airport is.
Pat & Barry met me at Newcastle and by the time we got to Hartlepool I’d got my second wind, so enjoyed an evening of yakking with Pat. She’s taken a couple of weeks off work, so we spent yesterday just checking things out and relaxing.
Today would have been Dave’s Mam’s birthday so we’re off to the cemetery with flowers in her memory and I can start sorting things out for plaques etc for him. The Tall Ships event starts on Saturday and things are gearing up for it in the town. So far the most evident sign has been this -


-double yellow lines!!!
There will be no parking hardly anywhere in the shopping area and lots of roads will even be closed to everything except emergency vehicles. People who normally park on the road outside their homes have been told they have to park elsewhere – and pay for the privilege.


Apparently some of the stores, including their largest supermarket Asda (which is near the marina) will be shutting their doors for the duration because they think there will be hardly any customers able to get to them easily. Weird eh – they anticipate at least 200,000 visitors every day and they’re closing shops!!!

Well, that’s all for the day. Take care. More when I can get to the library next.

3 comments:

sandra c said...

Glad you arrived safe and sound. Dumb english eh fancy closing with that many people in town they obviously have no imagination on how to get the customers in there doors eh I could off given them a few hints i was good at doing that when i had the shop LOL.
Enjoy the boats and i hope Dave enjoys them. :-)

Unknown said...

Can't believe you are all that way on the other side of the world and communication is that easy. Still don't know how you are managing all by yourself, and with lack of sleep. But isn't the body funny, that the excitement perked you up to be able to talk to Pat on arrival. Love your double yellow lines and would love some pic's of ordinary things like street signs, houses and gardens to see what it is like there.
Hope you are getting some sound sleep now. Don't get lost!!

Chris H said...

HOpe it's all going well over there. Enjoy it!