Thursday, August 12, 2010

WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE???

Well it’s Wednesday. I really don’t know where the last few days have gone. Pat & I have been out and about every day - mostly around the tall ships. My plan to be able to blog daily has fallen to pieces I’m afraid.

The same has been with plans for my travelling companion Dougal (one of Sandra C’s large bear family.) Firstly, he ended up having to travel with Dave in my suitcase because of the USA strict regulations. Then we were constantly stressed about his safety in the crowds at the tall ships venues when he was taken out of my carrier bag so he's spent most of his time at home with Dave (and Bronte & Rimini). His photo highlight here so far has been when he joined Rimini for a cuppa at the Museum Mad Hatter’s Tea shop. He’s happy enough to stay indoors now though - he’s got a new girl bear friend to bring home to Mum.
The Tall Ships entertainment has been on-going and varied. There’ve been displays, side shows, music and parades. We’ve walked miles every day.




















We’ve even been on an evening boat trip up the coast and back, enjoying the changing look of the coastline as darkness descends– arriving just in time to watch an impressive 9 minute fireworks display. (I know how long it was because I filmed it while trying to stand still on a docking boat after having a few beers. I thought it would never end!!).




The sun came out nice and bright on the last day. Pat, Bronte and I spent some time at the Hartlepool Maritime Museum until it was time to watch the ships leave.





Sadly the final parade of ships along the shore we were all looking forward to had to be stopped because a massive downpour made it almost impossible to see anything either on shore or at sea.












I’ve also been able to catch up with some of Dave’s family which has been really great. We had a get-together on Saturday but stupidly didn’t get any photos.

In between spending time here, we’ve been to both Durham and York. They're very old with areas of narrow streets, beautiful old buildings and incredible cathedrals. There’s just nothing like these at home. When I read the list of bishops at Durham starting from 998AD the ‘newness’ of New Zealand’s history really stood out.














Tomorrow, as well as joining Eddie for lunch and a medical check-up for Pat, we’re going to do some shopping, sort out a memorial plaque for Dave and scatter some of his ashes on the sea front. On Friday, we’ll be scattering the rest with his family. Saturday we plan to spend at the massive shopping centre – the Metro near Newcastle. Yeah shopping !!!!!

Well, that’s all for now. I hope I’ve not bored you senseless. Love to all. Until my next report………..







2 comments:

Chris H said...

Love all the photos... I was not bored senseless~! Shopping... have fun!

Anne said...

I'm not bored either - lovely to catch up on your news and photos:-)